Monday, June 28, 2010

#22: Downloadable Audiobooks

This Thing I'm at least familiar with, if not an expert. I attended a Staff Day training a few years back on audiobooks, and bought a Zen MP3 player on the instructor's recommendation, because it could bookmark and was compatible with Overdrive's titles (unlike Apple products at that time). Downloadable books are definitely one of the main products for libraries of the future, since the convenience and price cannot be beat. Having said that, I personally have never found an electronic device of any kind that I prefer to a "real" book, even as they increase in portability (I seldom touch my little Zen). Troubleshooting customers' problems is also difficult, regardless of training, since we can't see their PCs or devices--though I usually suspect software downloading issues. I liked Overdrive's Guided Tour: clunky format but provides clear, concise instructions.

Checked out Project Gutenberg, since it's been a few years since I looked at it. The site has really grown and added lots of features. I got excited when I saw the Bookshelf links, since I'm always looking for RA help, but thought the shelves were either too broad, sparse or idiosyncratic. Project Gutenberg functions best for specific title searches.

No comments:

Post a Comment