In looking over the shortlist of Web 2.0 Awards nominees, I see lots of old friends (Craiglist, Google Maps, Google Earth, LinkedIn...and WorldCat!), many that became more familiar during the 23 Things experience, and some that pique my curiosity (G.ho.st? Pageflakes? Boo?). The large number of nominees, which would just be the tip of the Web 2.0 iceberg, makes me realize how much catching up I have to do--or the sheer futility of even trying. But I see several that I thought would be among the 23 Things and weren't, such as Twitter--signifying how difficult it is to keep up with the shifting tides of social media popularity. Maybe the 23 Things training should just consist of exploring the annual 1st place award winners.
But choosing one to explore was easy: Facebook, hands down winner. Before starting, I was positive Facebook would be among the 23 Things--its rapid growth and near-ubiquitousness makes it seem to rival email as something everyone now "does." I've had so many people ask me if I'm on it, that I'm beginning to feel like a troglodyte for not joining. Plus, a close friend just moved to Australia and we need to stay in touch. I'm in.
Twenty seconds later, I have my account and now feel like I'm officially part of the Web 2.0 world. But clearly, establishing my profile and setting up my page is too significant to rush.
So I'll just look around. First question: I just signed up--how did Facebook know that all those people they immediately flashed me are my actual friends, or at least acquaintances? A little disconcerting. Second question--privacy controls, which I know are very critical. I admit I did not read all the information, fanatic that I am about fine print and privacy. After all, who has time for all that? Plus, how high can any risks be if millions of people are on Facebook, including my elderly cousins? There is a sort of herd mentality inherent in social networking...
Of course, my finally joining means everyone else must be ready to move on to the next hot social media. Now that the largest number of new members are women over the age of 40 (and what profession does that demographic remind you of?), Facebook has become too mainstream. I'm sensing restlessness among the Digital Natives: they're itching to migrate something more unique and cutting edge, to avoid the grandmothers and middle schoolers who are trying to friend them on Facebook.
A posting in TopTechReviews.net reports on "Google Me...a new super social network that could combine Google Profiles, Buzz and Orkut to create the ultimate Facebook Killing Machine." It concluded that this wasn't likely, but that Facebook is vulnerable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment