Wednesday, March 10, 2010

#5-6: Exploring Flickr

Flickr turned out to be much more interesting and absorbing than I had anticipated. I had thought it was just for photo-sharing. People would post their digital photos--weddings, travel, kids, etc.--then notify their family and friends that they could view or copy them from the site. However, it is so much more: I really enjoyed checking out features like mapping, geotagging, and Getty Images. It was engaging to see what library systems are doing with Flickr--and checking out photos of libraries.

For example, here's an amazing shot of Sydney's Mitchell Library, taken by
Christopher Chan


I did not create a Flickr account, since I am not remotely a photographer. Clearly, millions of others out there are, and devote considerable time to the endeavor. Some of the Flickr apps were very clever and intriguing. I did not follow the Flickr API explanation, so I admire the developers' technical savvy and persistence. As for mashups, their main point seems to be for graphic entertainment. But they do have practical potential, as shown by Mappr.

I spent way too much time on this: individual photos linked to "more info here" led me farther and farther astray, as I explored yet one more way to get lost in the online World of Information. At this rate, I'll never complete all 23 Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment